Sunday, September 27, 2009

finished business?

This small horizontal painting is what I was working on yesterday. It is either finished or still a work in progress. My natural impulse is to be sloppy and haphazard. For a change of pace, I thought, what if I just did vertical and horizontal lines and shapes, and tried to be as neat as possible?




I actually began this piece vertically. If you tilt your head to the right or left you'll see how it would be with the thick white line on the right being the top or the dark blue on the left as the top part. I was turning the thing upside down vertically every so often, adding more paint each time but could not make up my mind which was the better top. Two-thirds through the painting process I turned it sideways horizontally as you see it here and it seemed to jell, or it sat well. That's how I painted it last. Now if I turn it upside down or vertically I'm likely to make new adjustments. I'd rather start a new painting or work on unfinished business.
Oil on Baltic birch wood, with frame 7 x 11.75 inches. Click on picture for larger image.

No comments: